Last Updated: November 18, 2021
1. Personal Information we Collect
We collect a variety of information about Customers, Referrers, and Clients, and we do so in a few different ways:
1.1 From Customers
We collect the following information from Customers when they provide it to us directly:
- Customer profile information. When a Customer signs up to use the BailFundApp, they provide us with their first and last name and email address. Customers may provide additional information in their profile like their affiliated organization and their role within that organization.
- Surveys and product research. Customers may choose to participate in one of our surveys or Customer feedback sessions.
- Customer support. If a Customer contacts us with feedback or a support request, they may provide us with the information we need to respond, like their contact information and a description of the issue.
1.2 From Browsers or Devices
When any website is accessed, certain information gets created and logged automatically. The same is true of the BailFundApp. Here's what we collect from Customers, Referrers, and individuals who visit our login page but don't log in:
- Log. When Customers and Referrers use the BailFundApp (whether on their computer or mobile device), we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include IP addresses, the Internet Service Provider, referring/exit pages, date/time stamps, clickstream data, login times, duration of time spent on the BailFundApp, and how they navigated the BailFundApp while logged in.
- Device. In addition to log data, we collect information about the device Customers and Referrers are using when they access the BailFundApp, including the type of device, browser type, operating system, settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data that helps us understand when something goes wrong.
- Engagement. When Customers and Referrers use the BailFundApp, we collect information about the way they use it, like what Customers searched for or what data they clicked on.
- Cookies. We also use "cookies" (small text files sent from a Customer's or Referrer's computer each time they visit our website that are unique to their account or browser) and similar technologies. For example, we use Google Analytics, which places cookies that collect information that allows us to understand how often Customers and Referrers use the BailFundApp, where they are accessing the BailFundApp from and actions they take on the BailFundApp.
As explained below in Section 2, we use this information to ensure successful operation of the BailFundApp as well as to discover and develop features and functionality for the BailFundApp..
1.3 From Others
The data we process contains personal information about Clients and Referrers. That information includes:
- The Client's name and contact information.
- Certain demographic information about Clients, including their race and gender.
- Information about the Client's case, including the charges and case number.
- Information about a Client's upcoming court appearance, including the date and time of that appearance.
- Other relevant information about the Client that may have been noted by the bail fund, including education and employment information.
- Name and contact information for the Referrer.
We get Client and Referrer information from:
- Bail Funds. We obtain information from the bail funds with which we partner ("Partner Bail Funds").
- Referrers. We obtain information from community members, legal professionals, and other individuals who submit that information to the BailFundApp.
2. Use of Data
We don't sell data, including Customers', Referrers', and Clients' data. The BailFundApp does not have any advertisements for third-party services or products.
2.1 Operating the BailFundApp
We use the information we collect about Customers, Referrers, and Clients to the BailFundApp. Specifically, we use that information to:
- create and verify a Customer account;
- allow a Customer to log in to and use the BailFundApp;
- maintain and improve the security of the BailFundApp;
- respond to Customers' questions and comments;
- complete Customers' support requests to troubleshoot and resolve bugs;
- support correction, deletion, or de-identification of personally identifiable information; and
- execute periodic technology maintenance-related tasks
We may also use that information to discover and develop features for Partner Bail Funds which include:
- improving the intake of referrals for prospective Clients
- assisting with internal operations to improve efficiency; and
- building reports and insights about cases (including case outcomes);
2.2 Research and Development
We use information of Customers, Referrers and Clients to discover and develop features to improve the BailFundApp. Ways we do this include:
- conducting analytics on what Customers find useful about the BailFundApp;
- soliciting feedback and information from Customers (via surveys, for example); and
- testing and developing new products and features.
In the event we share the results of our research, all information about Customers, Referrers, and Clients will be aggregated so that, to the extent possible, the data will not be identifiable as belonging to any individual.
2.3 Email Updates
We will send Customers updates about the BailFundApp using the contact information they provided us when they registered. Customers may opt out of certain emails ("Marketing Emails") in their account settings or in the emails themselves. However, we will still need to email Customers in some instances ("Transactional Emails") to alert them of critical updates related to the successful operation of the BailFundApp. Customers may not unsubscribe or opt out of Transactional Emails.
3. Sharing Data
The subsections below describe the ways in which we share personal information.
3.1 Through the BailFundApp
All information about Clients and Referrers, as well as Customer profile information, is accessible to the Community Justice Exchange, a project of the Tides Center, a registered 501(c)(3), the organization that holds the National Bail Fund Network, which includes our Partner Bail Funds. Customers using the BailFundApp in connection with one particular Partner Bail Fund can only access the data submitted to or provided by that Partner Bail Fund. For clarity, Customers cannot access information submitted to a Partner Bail Fund to which they are not affiliated.
The BailFundApp does not include any advertising for third-party products and services.
3.3 Our Third-Party Service Providers
We rely on third-party service providers to make the BailFundApp available and accessible to Customers. Some of these service providers, such as analytics providers, may have access to Customers' and Referrers' personal data.
3.4 Reorganization, Sale or Merger
We may share the information we collect in connection with a merger, reorganization, or sale of all or a portion of our organization or assets related to the BailFundApp. We will always let Customers know before something like this happens, and they will always have the opportunity to delete their account.
4. Choices and Rights over Personal Data
Our goal is to give Customers simple and meaningful choices regarding their information. For example, Customers may close their account at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Customers also have choices available to them through the device they use to access the BailFundApp. For example, a Customer's browser may let them control cookies and other types of local data storage.
We provide Customers, Referrers and Clients certain rights with respect to the personal data we have about them. Specifically, they can ask us to:
- Delete. Customers, Referrers, and Clients can ask us to delete all or some of their personal data, in which case subject to applicable law, we can choose to either delete or de-identify your personal data.
- Change or correct personal data. Customers can edit some of their personal data through their account. Customers, Referrers, and Clients can also ask us to change, update or fix their data in certain cases, particularly if it's inaccurate.
- Object to, limit, or restrict use of personal data. Customers, Referrers, and Clients can ask us to stop using all or some of their personal data (e.g., if we have no legal right to keep using it) or to limit their use of it (e.g., if their personal data is inaccurate or unlawfully held).
- Right to access and/or take personal data. Customers, Clients, and Referrers can ask us for a copy of their personal data in machine-readable form.
Customers, Referrers, and Clients may contact us at email@example.com if they have questions or would like to exercise any rights they have under applicable law to control their personal data. If a Customer, Referrer, or Client wishes to raise a concern about our use of their information (and without prejudice to any other rights they may have), they have the right to do so with their local supervisory authority.
5. Retention and Deletion
We keep Customer, Referrer, and Client information for as long as needed to successfully operate the BailFundApp, subject to applicable law.
- We de-identify Customer information from a closed account within 60 days after the account is closed. We retain de-identified Customer information after a Customer's account has been closed so that Partner Bail Funds may use this de-identified information for reporting purposes. If a Customer wants to close their BailFundApp account, they may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We de-identify Client and Referrer information within 60 days after the Client or Referrer requests that we do so. We retain de-identified Client and Referrer information so that Partner Bail Funds may use this information for reporting purposes.
We de-identify information in the above circumstances except where it is reasonably necessary to keep it to meet our legal obligations or comply with law enforcement requests, resolve disputes, maintain the security of the BailFundApp, prevent fraud and abuse of the BailFundApp, enforce our agreements with Customers, or fulfill Customer request to unsubscribe from Marketing Emails from us.
5. Other Important Information
We implement security safeguards designed to protect personal data. Despite these efforts, we cannot guarantee that personal data may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by a breach of any of our physical, technical, or administrative safeguards. Customers should notify us immediately at email@example.com if they suspect their account has been compromised or are aware of any other security issues relating to the BailFundApp.
5.3 Direct Marketing and Do Not Track Signals
We don't currently share personal data with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, nor do we currently support any "do not track" signals or related opt-outs.
5.4 Contact Us